Friday, April 10, 2020

Halloween 100 years ago

These exciting little ads from the Colorado Evening Telegraph date from October 1920.  I think it's neat to see what foods were in style for Halloween 100 years ago.  Doughnuts, apples, ice cream and mints appear to be popular.  Meals or parties were common as a celebration as opposed to trick or treating.
Dern's appears to be a specialty grocery.  My pal Beth found this postcard on Ebay depicting the inside of the store.  Yum!  

They had a great eye for the ads.

Hmm - does that witch look naked to you?  Let's take a closer look. Yep I would say so except for the hat and shoes.

I love the graphic in this ad.  Could they have squeezed anymore images in here?  I wish I could check out their window.  
Interesting isn't it, that a home furnishing company would also sell apples for Halloween.  Delta is a county in far western Colorado.  What do you think the skooky is?

7 comments:

  1. So much fun! Skooky is a word we should bring back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see what their specialty Halloween candies looked like. I had no idea doughnuts were such a hot Halloween item. I’m pretty sure I’ve never even thought about a doughnut, let alone eaten one on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep one never hears of the illusive Hallowe'en Doughnut these days.

      Delete
  3. Oh this is so great! And now that Easter is over, we can start a proper countdown to Halloween, starting with Walpurgisnacht.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I noticed was how cheap the coffee was back then! Jeez, I wish. lol 🖤

    ReplyDelete