Monday, January 2, 2012

A Day at the Museum

While none of the exhibits came to life, there is plenty of interesting and creepy stuff to be found at our Museum of natural history. For example, there was a fascinating exhibition Gemstone Carvings: The Masterworks of Harold Van Pelt. Here are some interesting and somewhat disturbing pieces of his work.  These disembodied hands are rather cool.





These are his wife's hands.  I wonder where he put the rest of her?

We also happened into the butterfly exhibit which had a great display about insects of all types.  Check out these fascinating pictures my niece took.


Roaches on a skull



What a beautiful web this tarantula made
 However, I am saving the best for last.  The museum actually had a vending machine that sold edible Bugs!  Of course, Lady M had to try some.  My brave nephew gave it a shot too.  Needless to say WE LIKED THEM and ate the whole box.  I can't wait to serve "Larvets"at my next Halloween party.   What a great garnish they are going to make!


A nice selection of edible bugs in many flavors
 

My nephew chose BBQ Larvets





5 comments:

  1. Oooh...I like the gemstone carvings. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to eat bugs.. really. People think I'm nuts, but they look like mini noodles LOL! Nice photos! Last yr (or the yr before?), we went to The Bodies Exhibit when it came to Dallas... that was really cool .. and honestly gross, but def worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved everything....but the spider....:D

    Thanks for sharing. Great work and lovely pictures!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lady M! What a fun blog. It certainly was a memorable day at the museum, even if I couldn't watch you eat the larvets. Those roaches are still creeping me out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you friendly folks for your comments. Bugs taste good BeWitchy - give them a try sometime. Jackie - I tried to upload the video of John and I eating the larvets but blogger could not manage. Maybe it's to big?

    ReplyDelete