Thursday, December 8, 2022

Die Cuts and Lasers

 I got rebadged for the laser cutter at the Pikes Peak Library District Makers space - since Covid, everything is online so it is easy to do from my home office.  I am using it to make card stock embellishments for Baby M's wedding scrapbook.  The only issue with card stock and the laser is that it has a tendency to catch on fire so must be watched the entire time it is cutting.


The lettering and bats for these headers were cut on the laser and assembled by me.  I use card stock and cut at 100% speed and 10% power.  This keeps the whole thing from bursting into flames.

I have also learn to use the Silhouette die cut machine which cuts with a blade.  The software for the machine was super easy to learn but the result are a little more fussy than the laser - it does not cut intricate patterns as easily.  Still no worry about fire so that is nice.  I was able to make a lot of fun stuff like spiderweb corners,  ravens, pumpkins,  black cats,  and flourishes.




In the above image, the bottom was laser cut, the top die cut.  You can see that the die cut leaves papers tags.  If the bottom was any other color but black, I would expect you might see scorched edges from the laser.  So I will continue to play with both as they each have strengths and weaknesses.  It is fun being back in the makers space at the library!

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, such delicate and intricate work! Beautiful. Even the tendency to burst into flames adds a certain je-ne-sais-quoi to the whole process, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked on Amazon. They have laser cutters from $99 to $34.000. I think you should get yourself the expensive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for going shopping for me. The library system will let me use theirs for free - there are three in the Colorado Springs area so I think I will save that 34 thousand.

      Delete