Saturday, April 25, 2020

Covid 19 Garden

Just kidding!!! We plant a garden every year whether we are panicked about food shortages or not.  Here's what's in the works for 2020 - potatoes, beets, turnips, radishes, lettuces, carrots, onions and kale.  I started my baby kale inside and transplanted today.  Weather looks gorgeous this week so that ought to give them a good start before it snows again.

We are square foot gardening vs. rows.
Later after the frost date which is mid May,  we plan to sow corn and tomatoes.  Nothing in the squash family (boo hoo - will have to buy my pumpkins at the Colon Orchards) as last year we had some squash bugs and I don't what to encourage them.  Pesticides are not an option. Same thing goes for the beans and the white flies.  Of course we will plant herbs - basil is always a favorite as pesto is yum yum!
 Some familar friends have emerged from storage: Dante the vulture (named by Variations on Light), the cauldron, and spider sculpture.  Unfortunately, the artist who did the spider, Gary Johnson, has since passed.  His daughter carries on his tradition.

6 comments:

  1. I bet it feels good to prepare the earth and plant your veggies! I approve of everything you're planting except kale, not that you need my approval, of course, but just thought I'd mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale is delicious Debra and oh so good for you!

      Delete
  2. I do a lot of gardening too. Which is basically getting rid of the weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in an amazing climate for gardening. Colorado is difficult at best - water shortages, intense sun, dry high desert, mule deer, hail, huge temperature shifts in short periods of time - it is a miracle anything survives. But I do not have to weed much - they don't like these growing conditions either.

      Delete
  3. I love your spider. I can’t condone actually eating kale, but I can confirm it’s good for making vampire blood. https://inspirationlaboratories.com/halloween-science-fluorescent-chlorophyll/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well another use for this amazing multipurpose food.

      Delete