Monday, April 27, 2020

Copy Cat

I am stealing an idea from Debra at She Who Seeks to share some shit around my house.  Here's a charmer - the Toby cabinet.
Toby jugs or philpots date from the 1760s.  They depict the figure of a round, jovial fella usually holding a mug of beer.  Later they came to feature likenesses of  famous figures i.e. Henry the Eighth (above), and Winston Churchill.  I started collecting about 30 years ago.
Character jugs depict only the heads.  That fellow on the right sat on the bar of  great Grandparents saloon in Lacrosse Wisconsin or so the story goes. He is not a mug but a cigar holder.  My sister and I dragged him to the Antiques Roadshow, only to find out he wasn't worth much, unlike His Lordships Family possessions.  

The following character jugs are Royal Doulton.  They were my mothers.  She was very proud of her Alice and Wonderland set although Alice is strangely absent.
 She especially liked the Ugly Duchess below on the left.

Finally we have Merlin and Guinevere. Arthur is  on the back of her head, like Voldemort.  They are part of the star crossed lovers series.  In total my collection numbers 54 and I am done collecting  as the cabinet is full.

Hope you have enjoyed this little foray into the junk I collect.  Round about Halloween the jugs will all be pulled out and replaced with potion bottles.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great collection! And 54 of them -- I'm impressed. I really enjoy looking at Toby jugs, especially the literary and historical ones. Toby jugs always catch my eye when I'm browsing through a quality second hand shop or looking around the Royal Doulton shop in West Edmonton Mall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby jugs are so fun and whimsical. I am glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True story: I once worked for one of the heirs of the Doulton family. Not for very long, but there you go.

    I have seen many Toby Jugs at the York Castle Museum. I didn't know they were called this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a lot of my collection on trips to the UK. I have seen many cool Tobys over there, some in stately homes. That's cool that you worked for the Doulton family.

      Delete