Sunday, July 28, 2024

Witch Kitchen Style

 Thinking of a kitchen makeover?  A fun decorating trend for all of us who shun the white and gray modern is kitchen witch.  It is often dark and rich, with lots of wood, stone and plants.  It has a cozy cottage feel with a fantasy vibe.  Think witch cottage in Hansel and Gretel.   Dried herbs and house plants are essential as well as a few bones and other potion ingredients. Some of the examples I found have probably been generated by AI  as they seem to fantastical to exist with trees growing up through the floor.



 
 
For about a month or so back in the spring, Baby M and I worked hard to give her kitchen a makeover with a little kitchen witch vibe. We took her late 80s honey oak cabinets and sanded them down to bare wood.  Lucky for us, the doors and most of the surrounds were solid oak.  We then stained a rich dark combo of walnut and red oak.  It was a lot of work but they came out looking great.

For a backsplash we got some subway and glass tile from Habitat for Humanity for $20.  I love a good up cycle.  Habitat is a great place to get tile for small projects. 

We chose a dark green paint for the trim and a lovely dark green wallpaper from Spoonflower with mushrooms and insects.

Woodland Wallpaper Mushroom Forest Damask By Denesannadesign Gray Beige Leaves Removable Self Adhesive Wallpaper Roll by Spoonflower image 1

We did all the work ourselves - cabinet refinishing, painting, tiling and wallpaper for a fraction of what it would cost of to hire someone.  Of course, it makes it eclectic, filled with our idiosyncrasys, but a good witch kitchen is not born in a factory. 

I also made her this stained glass piece to hang above the sink in front of the kitchen window. One of these days I will get a picture of the finished kitchen.

This article at https://teaandrosemary.com/witchy-kitchen/ has great suggestions on how to enhance your witch kitchen as well as the various types of witch kitchens out there - Boho, Gothic, Victorian, Rustic etc.

 

7 comments:

  1. It all sounds so marvelous! And your stained glass mushrooms are super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any kitchen witch vibe in your home?

      Delete
    2. None in my kitchen, per se, but I do have lots of Divine Feminine Goddess energy throughout my entire place. My witch's broom hangs on a bookcase in the den right by my computer. Handy for quick flights, don'tcha know.

      Delete
  2. "rich dark combo of walnut and red oak" I'm glad to see you're treating wood like real wood. The big thing around here is to paint everything white no matter what kind of wood the cabinets are made from. It's the latest fad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would pledge my soul if I could have a window above my sink that huge that I could open to let in cool fall and winter air when I'm baking and hang my herbs to dry.

    ReplyDelete