Saturday, June 22, 2024

Goth Gardens

Even Gardens are not immune to a spooky makeover - enter the Goth Garden.  From black plants to arch passageways, gargoyles and moody lighting, bringing a bit of dark drama to your Landscape is trending this year.  I have found two fabulous articles to tell you exactly how to do it - This 2023 piece from the National Garden Bureau has a lovely overview and this 2024 piece from HGTV titled 35 Hauntingly Beautiful Ideas for Your Gothic Garden  has many terrific ideas. I dabble in it but since I live in the west, well moss is not really gonna grow here.   Still there are many things I can do to spook up my space.

The Chocolate Cherry sunflower variety has become a top seller for Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. Other garden companies have also reported an increase in sales of dark flowers and foliage.
The Chocolate Cherry sunflower variety has become a top seller for Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.

I love black flowers and have grown many from seed this year like these pansies.

Black petunia's have become available in most stores and I have grown them for years.

I also scored some black lilies.

I am anxiously awaiting the blooms though Baby M informs me that they will take forever to do it.  On the bright side (or gloomy side) the blooms last a long time.

 

Chloe Hurst is a 29 year old from Ontario, Canada with a gothic garden.  I follow her on Instagram.  But if you are not on that platform, you can learn more about her here and here.  She post some amazing pictures and ideas.
photo from Fox news

2 comments:

  1. I had a friend whose garden featured quite a few gargoyles, but it was not otherwise a goth garden. And one of the small specialty gardens in a nearby outdoor botanical attraction features nothing but poisonous plants, although it too is not otherwise a goth garden.

    ReplyDelete