Monday, October 7, 2019

Terror at Red Canon Stables

Way back in August, I moved my horse an hour and forty minutes away to avoid a Colorado Springs Utilities Project that was coming right through my stable.  I took Liathach, my horse, to my barn owners second property in Canon City.  Because of the distance, I would drive down in the evening and spend the night.  That way I could get two rides in while avoiding the heat of the day.

While staying, I had two horrifying experiences I wish to share.

Terror by Moonlight
Red Canon Stables is a remote place with an amazing dark sky.  On this particular night, the moon was full and I was alone in my tent. Round about midnight, I awoke.  As I opened my eyes, a silhouette on the fly sheet  came into focus.  It looks something like this:



The tarantulas were migrating and my tent was in the path.  Needless to say, after checking all the zippers a hundred times, I did not sleep very well, my main thought being "if that thing gets in here, how am I gonna get it out?" !

The Unexpected Intruder
One evening while brushing my teeth in the clubhouse, I noticed a strange tugging on the bottom of my pajama pants.  I gave my leg a shake but still it continued.   Backing quickly out of the bathroom, I managed a garbled scream with a  mouthful of pronamel.  His Lordship came running over, just in time to see a rat emerge from the waist band of my PJ's, fall to the ground and scamper away.



I hope you enjoyed these little tales - they are both 100% true.  A week ago, we fetched Liathach back home to Bradley Barn.  The utilities have not started the project.  In fact, they seem to have tabled it so I endured all that terror for nothing.
Liathach in his Halloween Costume



5 comments:

  1. Oh man! The rat incident is far worse than the tarantula which is actually kind of cool, not that I'd want them crawling over me while I slept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG either of those incidents would scar me for life! Love the unicorn costume, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a Nancy Drew mystery or a B movie, “Lady M In Terror at Red Canon Stables”

    I would seriously pay extra to camp out in the middle of a tarantula migration.
    I love rats too, but I do have boundary issues with uninvited guests crawling up my pant legs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither was too bad really - I am fine. Not scared of tarantulas and rats. I think it was the surprise factor of both that got me rattled.

    ReplyDelete