Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Boo at the Zoo


As part of my effort to experience Halloween on a larger community level, I took the adult children to "Boo at the Zoo" at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
Aren't they cute?
I was somewhat underwhelmed by the whole experience - Here's why:

1. Much of the zoo was closed and the animals were in bed which made me sad because that was really a big chunk of why we went.  Here are a few that we did see:
Poe the Raven
A wallaby in a dog bed

Fred and George the skunks
2. Some of the stations seemed to begrudge me candy even though I asked nicely and was dressed in a great costume.  Was it only for children?  I paid the entry fee.  Having said that, other stations embraced me and were very enthusiastic at my request for their chocolate.

3.  The weather was awful with high winds and cold temperatures which reeked havoc on the minimal decorations. The stations did not really make an attempt at decorating perhaps because of the wind. Here is a bit of decor I did like:
These smoking skulls were cool in a haphazard, didn't hide the hardware way.

Stretching spider webs is an art form best not left to amateurs

Carved pumpkin patch in the big backyard had some good designs like the peacock on the left.
I am happy to support the zoo as I think they perform good conservation work and make an effort to enrich the lives of the animals who live there.  Thanks to Baby M and the Son of Nell for being good sports, dressing up and accompanying me.

6 comments:

  1. I liked seeing Baby M's and Son of Nell's costumes! Where's a photo of yours? I agree that the pile of smoking skulls are kinda cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know Debra, I am a woman of mystery who is rarely seen in unphotoshopped pictures. However, I will make an appearance once this Halloween, I promise.

      Delete
  2. Skunks are scary. When you see one at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at that cute little skunk foot. How can you say scary?

      Delete
  3. I love the raven, what a handsome bird. I do like the mask tree thing, they sort of flow together, but I agree about the webbing. Didn’t Coco Chanel say “less is more”? I’m sure she was talking about properly stretching spider webbing.

    I don’t understand people’s ageism on handing out candy. I find it disheartening that there has to be a blue bucket movement. Anyone that comes to my door gets candy. I don’t care how old they look, or whether or not they say trick or treat/thank you (even verbal kids get shy or caught up in the excitement). Even the teens that just don a mask and carry a pillowcase get candy. Lame as their costume might be, they’re still having fun. Who am I to judge? And it's just candy.

    I too would have loved to see your costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I give everyone candy. I am not one of those "to old for the holiday" people.

      Delete