Friday, September 25, 2015

Poor sad little pumpkins

This year I planted some pumpkins on the upper tier of the garden thinking they would have some space and perhaps enjoy the view.  I was hoping to get at least 4 or 5.  I planted some cool seeds too - white ones and warty ones. After our wettest spring in recent history, they spouted and looked ready for action.  I was sure of my success.
 





After all the view from up here is fabulous.  Too bad the pumpkins were not inspired.
But alas, all is not right with the pumpkins.  After achieving a certain size, they just stopped growing.  And as for fruit, I have 1 tiny start that does not look like it will do much.  I guess the soil up there just sucks.  Oh well, next year I'll will try a different location.  As for this year, guess I will have to go shopping.

12 comments:

  1. Pumpkins can be very hard to grow. Better luck next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - but with anything I grow I find it is location, location, location.

      Delete
  2. I hope you can have better luck next time. That sucks your pumpkins didn't grow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the terraced garden. I can't complain about gardening on hill after seeing yours! Weather was crazy hot this year is the only reason I have some great pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening in Colorado has been a challenge, that is for sure. Just getting to the pumpkins to water them requires me to employ mountain goat style climbing skills. Plus, the dry heat, crappy soil, short growing season, multitude of mule deer etc. all lead to a massive learning curb.

      Delete
  4. Yes, pumpkins need alot of everything; water, sun, nutrients... I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! We have also opted for buying this year, since our work situations have changed.

    I'm not sure why I don't get your blog updates, I almost forgot about you when I didn't see any posts :( I will check what's what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not blogged in months so I am not surprised you forgot about me - it is my fault for leaving it so long.

      Delete
  5. Poor li'l punkins. At least they did better than ours ever did. We'd get blossoms and they would just fall off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes - mine have bloomed and bloomed but setting fruit seems like another challenge altogether.

      Delete
  6. between the heat and the bugs we lost our plants again this year ....
    back in 2011 we posted a Lot on the growing of Pumpkins (soil fertilizers pest control...) there may be some "useful" tips. Once that crop was growing well ... had to deal with Slugs....
    Hope that you and yours are well, dear Lady M.... and cool little shop in your prior post ... a great October weekend from the Crypt...
    .... blog whenever you wish to do so dear Lady... your followers will still visit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I believe I need a lesson in pumpkin horticulture so I will check out your 2011 posts. Slugs, however, should not be a problem as the climate I live in is dry.

      Delete