Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Holiday Favorite

Sugar cookies are one of my favorites around this time of year.  I make a recipe from this old book - it is a classic.  It tastes, feels and smells of my childhood. I hope you give it a try.

2/3 C. Shortening
3/4 C. Sugar
1 t. Vanilla
1 Egg
4 t. Milk
2 C. Sifted All Purpose Flour
11/2 t. Baking Powder
1/4 t. Salt

Cream Shortening and Sugar. Add Vanilla and cream some more. Add Egg; beat until light and fluffy.  Stir in Milk. Sift together Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.  Blend dry ingredients into creamed mixture.  Divide dough in half and chill for 1 hour.

Roll 1/2 dough out on a lightly floured surface using a lightly floured rolling pin. Keep other 1/2 of dough chilled until you are ready to work with it. Cut shapes and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes.  Cool cookies on a rack. Decorate when cool.  I use a simple icing of powdered sugar, milk, and food coloring, making it thick enough so it does not run.  Let colors dry between applications and use a toothpick for the details.

Last night I made some Creepmas cookies.  I made reindeer, snowpeople and holiday pumpkins.  Yummy, think I'll have those pumpkins right now with my coffee.

Creepmas Pumpkins with holly

Snow witch, snow axe murder, snow victim

skeleton reindeer

7 comments:

  1. oh boy, sounds like a GOOD recipe and I love how you decorated those cookies!
    re Germany--when I lived there, I did OK with the language. lived in a small village and took language classes so I could get by. fluent? by no means but I really enjoyed learning it--my 'heritage' on both sides is pretty much all German and Swiss so I found the whole experience of living there really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the reindeer skeleton cookies! I'm a cheater.. I buy those cookies you just throw on a pan and bake lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm now I'm hungry, the Skeleton Reindeer are my favorite! Ohhh and the snow victim lol, the best part is biting off their heads :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm!!

    I like how you did the snow victim and I'll jump on the bandwagon and say I LOVE the skeleton reindeer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the nice comments. I wish I could share! I appreciate your visit to the parlor. Come again anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, Lady M! I'm sure the cookies were delicious. Best sugar cookie recipe ever.

    ReplyDelete