Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Cabinet Makeover

I have this little display cabinet in the kitchen that holds mixing bowls and dishes.  Years ago, His Lordship replaced the antique glass with plexiglass so our little baby M would not fall through and slice her jugular vein. I had decided it was time for a makeover - how hard can it be?

Well months later, I can answer that question - fucking hard.  The varnish over the stain was thick and I used a gel stripper.  That took ages and was a mess.  Then the sanding lasted forever.  I was hoping to leave it a light color like lots of my other furniture, but alas, I could not remove all the remnants of the old dark stain which kept bleeding pink every time I cleaned it. Hence, I had to stain dark again.  It had to hang in the garage because it was off-gassing and it stunk.
 

Also, I discovered the back was cheapo veneered wood so that had to be painted as it could not be sanded and re-stained.

 I had the brilliant idea to do stained glass in the doors and designed two bespoke spider webs, each around 90 pieces of glass.  After a dozen glass cuts on my fingers and a lot of blobby soldering, I have finished my doors.

Time for some assembly and to get this bad boy back in the kitchen!



6 comments:

  1. OMG those stained glass doors are gorgeous! Your mixing bowls and dishes will be housed like royalty in that refurbished cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you revised the post to include a photo of the reassembled cabinet -- it looks so fab!

      Delete
  2. Well thank you - high praise from an artist like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really, really good. Could never tell that the finish/stain was not original to the furniture piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a really heavy dark lacquered that I am sure was to hide the fact that the wood was less desirable back it the day. But it has a nice grain.

      Delete
  4. Those look great! I'd likely lose an entire hand in the process.

    ReplyDelete