Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Leftover Pumpkins - a cooking blog

No waste is the motto of my household so this year I decided to eat my carved pumpkins versus compost them.  I found this beauty in Hotchkiss Colorado on the western slope.  It was too nice a pumpkin not to eat.

  

 I made delish vegan pumpkin enchiladas that I created from scratch.  I will try to describe it to you now.  

First I roasted cubed pumpkin , my garden tomatoes and garden peppers and ground those into a sauce with the addition of spices, tomato sauce and sauteed garlic and onions.  I was going for a mole' type taste so spices included cinnamon, cocoa, chipotle, ancho chili, cumin, coriander, salt, and oregano.   Yum creamy orange enchilada sauce.

For the filling, I roasted red cabbage and smaller cubes of pumpkin.
I combined that with sauteed onion and garlic, my garden zucchini and more peppers, black beans, and quinoa,


Here's what the filling looks like.

I stuff 8 small tortillas and place them on enchilada sauce, baked them in the oven for 30 minutes at 350.

I served on a bed of shredded lettuce topped with more warm enchilada sauce, tapenade and guacamole.

Thanks for suffering through my attempt to be a food blogger.
 

5 comments:

  1. I admire your commitment to not wasting pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 more whole pumpkins so I expect by the end of the season, I will be sick of pumpkin.

      Delete
  2. Pumpkin is sort of the gift that keeps on giving. We once had a Thai inspired pumpkin spice soup that was out this world. Not a vegan dish because it contained fermented fish paste. And several years ago Chef Rick Bayless's Frontera brand released a chipotle pumpkin salsa in the grocery stores around Halloween that was delicious. One of the best tasting jarred salsa's we had ever tried and we immediately went back to the store a purchased that last couple of remaining jars that Halloween season. Unfortunately Frontera never made it again.
    We don't technically "compost" our pumpkins. We put the remains from our jack-o-lantern endeavors out at the back of yard along a field/wooded hedge row where the birds, chipmunks, and squirrels feast on the seeds and pumpkin pulp. In the spring we rake up that which hasn't gone back to the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm - pumpkin salsa and pumpkin Thai soup sound good. There are vegan alternatives to fish paste.

      Delete
  3. Okay, that sounds (and looks) pretty delicious!

    ReplyDelete