Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Birds have the Naughtiest Names

 Some friends sent this unusual gift as a thank you for staying with us in Orkney.  They are drinks coasters. I thought my blog readers would get a kick out of these despite not Halloween related.  Get ready for the raunchier side of naming birds.

For any of you not familiar,  a shag is another name for getting laid in the UK.  It is also what they call various members of the cormorant family.



His Lordship wanted to name our first house in Illinois "The Peckers" due to our abundance of woodpeckers.  However, people in the US rarely name their houses so I nixed it.
Tits are the UK equivalent to our Chickadees and Titmice.  You can see how the fellas would come running if you shouted "there is a pair of great tits in the garden".
Not ever called honkers but I guess they need something to complete the set.


10 comments:

  1. Sex, sex, sex -- that's ALL birds ever think about. That's why it's called "the Birds and the Bees."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have indeed witnessed the cloacal kiss multiple times.

      Delete
  2. A long time ago at work, a guy I worked with had the nick name of Honker. My last name is Bohemian so it got trimmed down to Hunky. (bohunk > hunky) I told Honker we should start a band and name it Honker Hunky and the Honkies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard geese referred to as Canadian Honkers, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always just refer to all of them as "birds". So I guess I'm in the clear as long as I don't try to flip them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except at the Planned Parenthood protester. You have may blessing to flip them the bird.

      Delete
  5. Just wanted to give you a heads up on this weird thing with Blogger and your blog. When we log into Blogger, our "Reading List" shows several recent posts by you, such as "Ghost Town" or "Spooky Spread", but when we click on the link that takes us to your blog, we get "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist." This blog post is currently the last post from you we can view.
    About a week ago we had some weirdness with blogger loading our page extremely slowly that magically went away this past week so who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For once, Blogger is not to blame. Totally my fault. Those posts are scheduled for October but like the spacey old bat I am, I posted in Sept. I did it 3 times! Thanks for watching out for me though.

    ReplyDelete