Saturday, January 29, 2022

Some Like it Hot

 I have been meaning to do this post for awhile in response to Mike's (over at a Billion Versions of Normal) on scoville heat units.  But as you know I have been feeling like shit  the past month due to a raging shingles infection and continuing pain affectionately known as post herpetic neuralgia. The shingles goes away but the pain remains.  The sensations range from being stabbed with knives to snakes crawling under my skin to a third degree burn. It hurts to drive and walk as it jiggles my love handle on the right side. I can't stand blankets touching my abdomen and currently sleep topless on my left side in the guest room under a section of shelving unit covered in comforters.  It is like a little tent.  This morning my prescribed painkillers bumped up and I feel ok. Hopefully 2 gabapentin twice a day will do the trick. 

Anyway, I am going to attempt this blog.  Back in December when I wasn't a drugged up mess, his Lordship and I attended the German market in Denver.  We purchased some delicious hot sauces from a local maker, The Sauce Leopard. We made our own 3 pack consisting of the Colfax Killer, Bird Blood, and Assgasher.



These are all excellent on tacos or burritos.  Bird Blood is fairly mild and sweet but Colfax Killer brings a little heat with a tropical twist. Assgasher is a siracha and great with asian cuisine. And of course, I just love the labels!  I mean, it is a hand holding an ax emerging from an a-hole - what is there not to love? Click on the pictures for a better description or ordering information.

10 comments:

  1. "delicious hot sauces" is the same as "military intelligence" for me. Does not compute! I read recently where someone snuck some Carolina Reaper into someone's food and the person died.
    I checked out the website of the first one. It said the heat was 6 out of 10. 10 what? What's the Scoville scale rating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't find a Scoville scale rating anywhere so you'll just have to settle for 6 out of 10 - 10 perhaps the hottest sauce they make. I don't know but these are all pretty yummy.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear that your shingles pain is still continuing as post herpetic neuralgia. My hope for you is that it goes away quickly! How unfair life is.

    I can't tolerate hot 'n spicy sauces, alas. They give me acid reflux. But I LOVE looking at the creative names and art on hot sauce bottles! That would be a great thing to collect, in my opinion. Anyway, the art for AssGasher is positively INSPIRED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you are in pain, but I'm glad the meds are making things a wee bit easier. I just show my husband your post, and he said, "Great creative minds!" When my neuropathy was particular bad, we used two chest drawers--one on each side--to make a tent for me to sleep under. Mine was on my legs, my arms, and my face, and on one side of my back... so no clothes. I'm so much better today. And I wish the same is true for very, very, very soon.

    I can't eat anything spicy, but my not-so-Little Princess would eat fire if they make it into a sauce. I might get her a Bird's Blood just so I can keep the bottle. Such a cool label!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she would like the bird blood - it is kind of sweet and hot with cranberry, blueberry and habanero. My Baby M loves it! That's funny that you made a little tent too and so creatively - I did not even think of dresser drawers!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry about the shingles. Hubby has had some bad episodes and still gets flare ups even after the vaccine. The ointment he had prescribed was Triamcinolone Acetonide and it sure helped when the dry patches show up. I take Gabapentin for nerve pain and that sure is a life changer. Taking it at night since it makes me a little slow reflex wise. Tried it during the day and didn't feel safe driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty good drug. The only side effect is sometimes I get a little sick to my stomach. But otherwise doesn't make me dopey at all so that's good - I am finally getting something done after a month of being out of commission. Sorry about your hubby and his shingles. I hope I never get a flare up again but if I do I will be ready for it.

      Delete