Sunday, July 7, 2024

Mosaics

 Yah - I need another hobby like a hole in the head but I can't help myself when it comes to mosaics - they are so much fun.  Plus they are using up a lot of old junk around the house - tubes of silicon sealers, half empty bags of grout and most importantly, all that scrap glass from stained glass.

Baby M and I took a class from Kathy over at Shattered Glass Restored back in June to make a bird bath. I chose to make a spider web in the 5 hours we had to do it.  Sounds like enough time? Not by half.  The last 3 hours felt like I was a contestant on the Great British Baking Show as I scrambled to complete my piece.  Needless to say, I was not pleased and gave it away to my sister.

Here it is pictured before grout.  Unfortunately, grout did not improve the sloppy, rushed appearance of the piece.

I decided to try it at home, where I could take my time and be a little more precise.  I started doing a flower pot embellished with some glass skulls I got from Full Spectrum Art Glass. I spent a few days, letting each section dry, before starting a new one.  

I am so pleased with the results. I think it is as cute as can be and cannot wait to pot a plant in it.




Looking forward to creating more.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, your mosaic work is stunning! You're very talented with both design and execution. I thought of you yesterday when I was at a Witch Fair -- so many skulls and spooky creations were on display at various stalls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Did you score anything at the witch fair???

      Delete
  2. The flower pots are awesome.

    Speaking of pots, I've got a picture of a skeleton toilet you would love except you don't have an email listed. Send me your email and I'll send it to you. It will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have your email - mike sbc global? I sent an email your way. If it is not yours, some other Mike is getting a weird email from Lady M.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. They both look amazing!! The flower pot is really, really neat. Please share which lucky plant gets to live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still pondering which plant gets to live in there.

      Delete
  4. That bird bath looks painstakingly intricate. I'm impressed it ONLY took five hours haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of what I could have accomplished in 7 hours!

      Delete
  5. These are absolutely gorgeous! Wow, the color choices are perfection. LOVE what you've done here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun project. Love how that cobalt blue turned out on the pot. Getting back to the blog and catching up on reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have much of that cobalt blue glass but in mosaics, a little goes a long way.

      Delete
  7. That last comment was moi Old Fashion Halloween only Google won't let me sign in to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got no idea why google is so weird. I can't comment on Haunted Eves blog at all.

      Delete
    2. Switching to Chrome as my browser and I can comment as me now.

      Delete