Monday, October 10, 2022

Jack and Johanna

 

Johanna Parker is a well known designer in Halloween circles.  Her whimsical smiling cat in a cone hat is known to many and has been licensed the world over.  I even have some of her creations here in Lady M's Haunted Parlor.  I painted and created the buckets and pumpkin on the bottom shelf inspired by her art.
But did you know that black cat was based off of Johanna's beloved pet Jack.  Black Jack was Johanna's muse and model for 22 years.
Sadly, he passed away last May.  The obituary blog post is truly touching.  You can read it here on Johanna Parkers website. 
 Jack lives on in all the fine creations he inspired across the globe.  Johanna now has a huge network of crafters with which she collaborates.   Click the picture below to see some the small businesses using her designs.


She lives here in Colorado so I am hoping someday to meet her.
From now on, when I see one of her black cats, I will think of Jack.
Be sure to head over the the Countdown to Halloween Blog for other great Halloween content


2 comments:

  1. Love this post, thanks! Her art reminds me of the "classic" Halloween imagery of my now-distant childhood. I still prefer it to today's gory, horror-based stuff. And Black Jack! What a muse he was. I'm off now to read his obit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the retro Halloween too and have always prefer creepy and spooky to gory.

    ReplyDelete