Saturday, September 5, 2020

Gardening in a Pandemic

I can't say enough about the garden.  It has really contributed to my mental health in an otherwise insane year.  I think depression would be very deep had it not been for all things green.  Since our outside social lives have been curtailed, caring for my leafy companions has consumed much a my time.  I have been rewarded with tons of luscious produce.  The kale has been unstoppable. The tomatoes are delicious and even the corn was a mild success.  Here is a picture of some of our amazing root veggies - turnips, beets and carrots.

While others have been watching Tiger King and Ozark, I have turn my attention to the gentle cultivation of Monty Don on "Gardner's World".  Yes I enjoy watching a 65 year old putter in his garden almost as much as I enjoy puttering in mine.  Monty is Britain's favorite gardener hence we stream the show via Brit Box.  I have learned so much about cultivation.
Alas much of it is coming to an end.  On Tues. we might see snow.  The cold will certainly stop much of the produce.  The flowers I have nurtured all summer will shrivel.  It makes me sad. So long dear friend until next spring.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could garden. Feeling like having hearty food these days, with lots of root vegs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can garden - why not look into an allotment?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Bringing the rest in today and tomorrow as Tues it will freeze hard.

      Delete
  3. Wait, Monty is only 65? I thought he was much older. Much to my surprise, after a DNA test, I find myself not as British as I thought. Turns out dad is not my biological dad! Years of ancestry.com work and keeper of the family history for a family that is not mine. 2020 continues to dish out surprises.

    ReplyDelete