Monday, August 26, 2019

Pumpkins are Almost Ready

Unlike last year, 2019 has been a year without hail here in Manitou Springs.  So I have a few pumpkins coming ripe that have not suffered damage.  

Unfortunately, they don't seem pleased with the new bed we built for them. I planted three varieties - a sugar pumpkin  (for pies), a cinderella pumpkin, and a green sweet meat winter squash.   





The last one is really under performing as each one should be between 10 and 15 pounds.

All three varieties are good eating.  I will have to buy carving pumpkins.

6 comments:

  1. Well, the two that are ripening look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to post something as you linked to my blog. I am afraid I am under performing as well.

      Delete
    2. Oh, sorry! Didn't mean to put pressure on you!

      Delete
    3. Someone needed to light a fire under my sad sorry butt. I have had this list of blog topics on my desk for weeks! I thank you for thinking of me, sending people my way and putting an end to some dreadful procrastination.

      Delete
  2. I think they look great! anything the earth gives is good I always say. I really like the Cinderella. Might have to try those next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand is Lake Valley Seed from Boulder Colorado They are Heirloom Cinderella Pumpkins. I try to find local seeds as they seem to be better suited for the climate. Perhaps you can find some for the Midwest.

      Delete