Sunday, September 16, 2018

The good, the bad and the ugly

The first crop of  pumpkin squash are ready to harvest - I call this the ugly bunch as they endured the worst of the hail.  These bad boys have the scars of many battles.  They grew as volunteers from my compost so I have no idea what cultivar they are - perhaps you could help me out here Old Fashioned Halloween (as I deleted your last comment in which you told me).



His Lordship admires the crop.
The plants are resilient and will not be outdone by a few hailstorms.  I have a whole new batch coming.



 The one pictured below is clever enough to grow under the deck, as if taunting the hail "can't get me".
Last time I tried to take a picture of this fellow, I disturb a sleeping skunk, who then ran into our garage.  I had to stealthily wait for it to come out  and use my remotes to shut the door.

Alas, I might yet get something to carve - just have to wait and see what this crazy changing climate throws my way.  Right now we are getting ridiculously hot summer weather.

13 comments:

  1. All things considered, a pretty nice crop -- warts and all. Had a good laugh at the skunk story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I am amazed at the never say die attitude of a squash.

      Delete
  2. Love these squash!! Hope I get some compost volunteers next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good crop and really like the warty ones. We tried growing pumpkins several years ago and only ended up with a single medium sized pumpkin, the rest never grew beyond the size of apples. Called it quits after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year I have had any success. It is the sunniest yard (and best drained) I have ever had so perhaps they need those things in abundance.

      Delete
  4. I love the wart ones In fact we have a few at work that has been pretty hard to pass up. Other than that your crop looks good! I'm going to do this next year you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - I think everyone should be a pumpkin farmer. I have found them fairly effortless.

      Delete
  5. Those are great! so distinctive, i should try some of those next year. I ended up getting about 18 this year but not as cool looking as yours. And what a treat that you keep getting newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some funky pumpkins I kinda like how they look a bit battered it show character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They’re not ugly, that’s character. With your success with vine vegetation, you should try gourds. Then I can live vicariously through you. I once had gourd dreams, but I’ve given up. I still have seeds for snake and long handle dippers I’d be happy to pass along.

    Search on “snake gourd art” and “snake gourd art pine cones” The latter use pine cones for scales on the long handle dipper gourds and they look freakishly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow cool - what beautiful gourds. I am amazed at some of those paint jobs. I will have to grow those next year.

      Delete