Thursday, May 23, 2019

Tanager Invasion

Warning:  This post is not spooky.  If you are a Halloween addict, you are advised to close this page now.  This post contains pictures of cute, brightly colored birds.  Of course, you can always channel your inner Hitchcock and get through it.

We are now in our fourth day of the tanager invasion.  It started innocently enough on Sunday with just one female on the suet feeder.  But Monday the weather moved in and we were invaded properly.  Since then we have had snow and freezing temperatures and these poor little neotropic migrants are just stuck here.  Needless to say, I am making a lot of suet.  Here is the recipe for you if you ever find that you have a tanager invasion.

Homemade Suet

16 oz of lard
16 oz of chunky peanut butter
4 cups cornmeal
4 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups whole wheat flour

Melt lard and peanut butter.  Remove from heat.  Add all dry ingredients and mix well.  Place in a well oiled pan and refrigerate till firm.

Bullocks Oriole and 2 male Western Tanagers on the Suet.  The one on the right is a first year male hence a little more green.

Bullocks Oriole and a female Black Headed Grosbeak


 For the darker Suet at the bottom, I substituted some organic buckwheat flour I needed to use up.  They did not seem to mind.
Downy Woodpecker




If you do not have time to make suet, they like oranges too.


Female Western Tanager

Four days later - still raining and they are still here





15 comments:

  1. Well, Goddess bless you for feeding those birds. When I first read your post title, I misread it as "Teenager Invasion" -- d'oh! Birds are much better, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not spooky, but oh they are so beautiful. Last spring our birds were hit with a snowstorm, thankfully this year was not a repeat. Looks like your birds are pretty happy to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning the sun is shining and the birds look so happy. I expect the will be on their way tonight.

      Delete
  3. Our feeders typically get cleaned out by squirrels and raccoons before the birds can get to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had to be diligent on squirrel watch. We bring our feeder into the garage every night to foil raccoon and the bears!

      Delete
  4. How sweet! I love those little Tanagers! I've never seen any in person. I think you've solved a mystery I had going with that Bullocks Oriole, though. About a week ago, and for the first time ever, one of those dropped by. I'd seen the darker orange orioles before, but not one of these. And it was a really social one! I was reading on the porch and it actually landed on a lawn ornament a couple feet away from me and started tweeting in my direction. It was a very cool experience. And they have a neat song! Lucky you to see all those birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the Bullocks is a western bird. If you got one in Wisconsin it would be very rare indeed. A Baltimore Oriole would probably be your bird with the darker orange bird being an Orchard Oriole. Both of which are breeding birds for your area. As far as tanagers, you would get the Scarlet Tanager, a beautiful red bird with black wings. The females are green and similar to the Western Tanager. Thanks for your comment and be sure to look at my next post - you are mentioned.

      Delete
    2. Hey! Yeah, it's surprising, but that looks like the bird I saw. I've seen the Baltimore Orioles in years past. The last few years I've been seeing some birds and insects I'm not supposed to be seeing. I know I'm living on a major migration path, but I can't help thinking that the weather changes have nature doing some new things. I'll take a look at your new post right now. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow those are beautiful birds!! I don't know if we have many tanagers here in Dallas, TX. I'll have to look that up. I think its so cool that you handmade their treats for them. very nice view to look at. I just noticed a bird made a nest on the side of our house and it thrilled me. I feel honored that they chose us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Summer Tanager is your breeder. Males are solid red, immature males red and green, and female green. You also might get a Scarlet Tanager in migration. A Western Tanager would be a rare bird for Dallas. Just call me a bird nerd. Hopefully, you will get some chicks to fledge from your nest. It is always an honor when they grace us with their presence.

      Delete
  6. The weather has been horribly wonky here in NYC, too. We had days of cold, wet weather followed by blaring sun and humidity. My niece is doing her PhD in ornithology and would have loved to sit outside your window all day. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a week they are still here eating me out of house and home. I am going to have to start weaning to get them to move to the mountains. I am afraid the living here is a bit to easy.

      Delete