Saturday, February 29, 2020

Strange tidbits from Yesteryear

His Lordship is purging more old newspaper from the Heritage Center.  I ask him for all October issues as I enjoy looking for Halloween content.  Sadly there was not a lot. I did find some weird stuff as is the case with newspapers of yesteryear.  Here is a great ad for the motion picture 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea  released in 1916. It was novel for the time because parts were filmed underwater.  I love that huge killer octopus - it's so steampunk.


8 comments:

  1. "Startling!" "Unbelievable!" Oh, those high-tech movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you had never seen anything like it, you might be amazed.

      Delete
  2. That's really neat. I hope the purging includes scanning (if they don't already have digital copies). There's an amazing amount of incidental information that can be found in old newspapers. I've been on a genealogy kick the last couple years and have found some really neat information on my family in local newspapers. By the way, 20,000 Leagues was apparently the first movie filmed underwater. You can watch the whole movie on Youtube. https://youtu.be/vPttwFF407A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if someone has scanned copies but the heritage center is not scanning them. Yes - have have watch some of the movie and noticed that they did indeed film parts underwater.

      Delete
    2. As you can tell, I failed to proof read that last comment.

      Delete
  3. I love the artwork and it's interesting to see the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A classic - I look forward to your critique.

      Delete