Sunday, September 9, 2018

I was warned

Last year, Donut, over at the PotionSmith did a group of postings based around the perils of over planting Zucchini and naturally, I failed to get it.  Fast forward to 2018, when I planted not 1, not 2 but 3 whole rows of the stuff. Now I see her point.
Earlier in the summer, the hail kept these bad boys down.  But we have been hail free for almost 4 weeks and  I am up to my eyeballs in zucchini and am happily giving it away to friends, enemies and anyone who breathes.

We have added it to everything we cook - spaghetti, ratatouille, eggplant Parmesan, soup, brownies, as side dish in white and red sauce, and sauteed with basil. It goes in salad, smoothies, and is eaten raw with hummus.  But I can't keep up.  So please, send me your best zucchini recipe, especially any Halloween ideas I can add to my spooky spread.  I am heading out to the garden to pick another 10 of these.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There were so many great varieties - I could not resist.

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful. I only wish I had such bounty. The squash bugs took care of my plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! The white one looks really interesting though. My favorite way to eat zucchini is cubed, tossed in olive oil, sprinkled with salt and vinegar and roasted.

    It goes without saying you can search my blog for more recipes, but hands down the favorite around here is zucchini cake.
    https://potionsmith.blogspot.com/2014/08/summer-recipes.html

    I like the blondie version with white chocolate chips, craisens and coconut. But not everyone likes coconut, you could just increase the other two if that’s the case. Or maybe add some orange peel…just thought of that and might have to try it. I’ll have to buy zucchini though... I didn’t plant any. I like the chocolate version with a mix of dark, semi-sweet and white chips. I must’ve made over a dozen cakes last year, it helps to have hordes of teenagers around to dispose of them.

    Another cake that is divine is this lemon-blueberry one:
    https://iambaker.net/blueberry-zucchini-cake-with-lemon-buttercream/

    I halved the frosting recipe, the cake is so moist and sweet it doesn’t really need frosting. So I only used 1 Tbsp lemon juice and ½ tsp zest in the frosting and then I tossed the rest of the zest in the batter.

    I wondering with the blueberries and some green food coloring if it could become Halloween worthy. Something else I might have to try.

    If you are really drowning in zucchini you should see if any local food pantries will take fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas all of these. Lemon Blueberry sounds divine.

      Delete