His Lordship and I have volunteered to work on the display for the Heritage Center. I even donated Mr. Bones!
Our idea is to dress them up as early 20th century tourists and put them in an original incline chair. If you are not familiar with it, the Manitou incline operated as an attraction from 1907 until 1990. Some of you might have even ridden it as children. The incline is now everyone's favorite extreme hike, gaining 2,000 feet of elevation in 3/4 of a mile. It is a huge, rough staircase.
Skeleton Days will run from Oct. 1 through the 28th. Awards will be given Oct. 29th at the Emma Crawford Coffin Races. Needless to say, I am working hard and scouring resale shops to make ours the best dress pair on the strip!
So I have lots of crafts to complete for this Halloween this year. One projects I have intended to do for years is repaint these gargoyles. I hate the factory finish on this pair - it is so pathetic. So I finally sat down and gave them a coat of black paint, followed by dry brush with gray, white and off white. A little antiquing wax and they are ready for display in the haunted parlor.
I regularly visit the farmer's market for produce over the summer. I mean, nothing, in my opinion, can compare to a homegrown tomato. Imagine my joy and surprise when I discovered an amazing handcrafted black soap there. It is so black that I have to agree with Nigel:
It smells of anise, which I love! And when it is lathered ,the suds are black. Now my whole dungeon smells like licorice. When I head to the market this afternoon, I'd better buy a couple more bars.
My new years resolutions include crafting six times this year for my blog. Other than the clock, I have not crafted once. That is, up until now. The Halloween crunch is on and a years worth of projects are being churned out in the next four weeks. One of my goals was to make more shadow boxes like the little frog I put together last year. Inspired by Cat Winterfox at Spooky Moon, I went on the hunt for something to showcase in a shadow boxe.
I found just the thing at JoAnns - a plastic bat skeleton dying for a make over. First off, the skeleton got a paint job consisting of a coat of black followed by a dry brush with buttermilk and then rubbed with an antiquing wax. I cut a base board and covered it with cheap gray creepy cloth (dollar tree) using a spray adhesive. I made a little box from wood scraps in the garage and a frame from the trim leftover from the kitchen remodel. Everything got a coat of black chalk paint, distressed with sandpaper and rubbed with brown antiquing wax . A little wood glue holds it together and a chain to hang it completed the job!